Starting a business in Milton Keynes
The lockdown and furlough scheme have given many the opportunity (and time) to start that business idea they’ve always dreamed of. And, what better location to start than in the City of Dreams.
Thanks to its location, growth and talent, Milton Keynes is ranked one of the best places for business in the UK. And, starting a business in Milton Keynes couldn’t be easier, with tonnes of support available to new and growing companies. So, where do you get started?
Milton Keynes accelerators and incubators.
If you’ve got a great idea that needs a little help getting off the ground and growing, a Milton Keynes accelerator or incubator can help. These programs provide startups with access to mentoring, support, investors and office space – everything your business needs at the very beginning.
Popular Milton Keynes incubators and accelerators include:
- Natwest Entrepreneur Accelerator – a free six-month program for local startups
- Cranfield Eagle Lab – an aerospace and aviation technology accelerator.
- IM Accelerator – a transport innovation accelerator.
Milton Keynes investors and funding
Most new and growing businesses need an injection of cash to take it to the next stage. Thankfully, Milton Keynes has a thriving investors network, alongside access to local funding and free advice.
Top places to start include:
- The Milton Keynes Investors Network – a quarterly investment group that hears pitches from early-stage, high-growth startups and SMEs.
- The Midlands Engine Investment Fund – a collaboration between the British Business Bank and Local Enterprise Partnerships, providing a variety of funding options.
- SEMLEP’s Growth Hub – fully-funded support and advice for local businesses.
Milton Keynes networking
Networking is great for getting your new business out there, making useful connections and meeting people going through the same journey. Milton Keynes’ bustling business community means that you could networking morning, noon and night; however, the following networking events are ideal for new businesses:
- Made in MK – Ad-hoc networking events to connect and support the MK tech community.
- FSB – a monthly networking meeting held by the Small Business Federation.
- Natwest Boost – a monthly networking event for small and growing businesses.
Office space and meeting rooms
Your office space requirements will grow alongside your business, and Milton Keynes offers a variety of different options to suit. In particular, you can access:
- Meeting rooms – Witan Studios has a bookable boardroom in Milton Keynes, complete with complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits.
- Free co-working spaces – Grant Thornton has a free collaborative working space for those early-stage hot desk requirements.
- Office space – we offer both small and large office space in Milton Keynes to suit your team’s needs.
Paying it forward
The Milton Keynes business community is described as one of the most friendly and supportive communities out there. It’s also one of the most giving. There are plenty of ways to pay your business success forward, helping others to pursue their dreams too.
- Worktree – a voluntary organisation that connects business professionals with local school children so they can work out their futures.
- Young Enterprise – an interactive program for young entrepreneurs that supports them in opening and running their own business.
- @MK_Hour – a weekly Twitter event where you can connect with local businesses to provide recommendations and offer support.
Milton Keynes might be a new city, but it certainly packs a punch when it comes to helping businesses owners start, scale and succeed with new business ideas.